top of page
  • Writer's pictureMeason & Ramsey Law

Can You Modify Your Spousal Support Agreement?

Updated: Feb 2, 2023

Are you no longer able to afford the spousal support payments that you agreed to as part of your divorce settlement? If so, don’t worry, because there is a chance that you may be able to adjust the spousal support that you agreed on - but you have to act quickly.

Common Reasons For Modifying Spousal Support Payments

There are many reasons why spousal support payments may need to be modified. Some common reasons include:

  • a change in financial circumstances for either spouse

  • a change in living arrangements (such as one spouse moving out of the family home)

  • a change in the needs of either spouse

  • a change in the health of either spouse

  • the remarriage or cohabitation of either spouse.

If you are experiencing any of these changes, you should speak to a family law attorney to find out if you can modify your spousal support agreement.

How to Modify Your Current Agreement

If you and your spouse have an agreement regarding spousal support, you may need to modify the agreement if your circumstances change. To do so, you will need to file a petition with the court. Either party may request a modification of the spousal support order by filing a petition with the court.

If you and your spouse can reach a new agreement on spousal support, you can submit it to the court for approval. If you cannot reach an agreement, the court will decide whether to modify the existing agreement based on the changed circumstances.

When it comes to modifying your spousal support, it is best to seek the guidance of a family law attorney. They can help request a modification that better reflects your financial situation and that fits your budget.

Whenever you have any questions about modifying your spousal support agreement, give us a call at Meason Law Office. If you need an experienced family law attorney to handle matters related to divorce, paternity, child support, and more, we can help.


Meason & Ramsey Law provides a professional experience for all our clients, helping them navigate their legal rights. Our focus is criminal law (felony and misdemeanors). We specialize in Criminal Law, Divorce and Family Law, Probate Law. We are currently accepting cases in Washington, Nowata and Osage counties. Meason & Ramsey Law has family lawyers, divorce lawyers, probate lawyers, criminal defense lawyers, DUI & DWI lawyers, co-counsel lawyers, family attorneys, divorce attorneys, probate attorneys, criminal defense attorneys, DUI & DWI attorneys and co-counsel attorneys. Marty Meason and Rodney D. Ramsey, Attorneys

Meason & Ramsey Law

515 Delaware Ave

Bartlesville, OK 74003


15 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page